5/18/2009

Freund Report: Vernon Hills

Sorry I know this is a little delayed but I figured better late then never. 

Well I really wasn't sure what to expect in this race when I showed up, but I was pretty pumped for the opportunity to wear my skin suit.  There weren't too many guys in the our field and this was really only my second race so I'm still not too sure who to watch for.  Also to my surprise in the pre-race team meeting I was elected as the main guy for the race.  How was this decided you may ask... well Ebert said he's not in shape, Spencer was old, and John was still upset about his TT the day before.  So it was like I drew the short straw.  

So the race started out pretty fast with some attacks but nothing really sticking.  About 20 minutes gone by and the race had been pretty fast so I figured the next time there was a lull in the race the attack to follow would stick.  This is what happened Brian Java (not how you spell his last name) of Mercy attacked and immediately had a big gap.  I thought if I could get to him we might be able to stay away.  Then a group of 3 got off the front and were chasing.  I thought that this group would catch Brain and that would be the decisive break.  However the pack chased and as we reeled in the 3 I knew I had to go.  I jumped off the front and the pack was content with letting me go.  I bridged up to Brian and we got to work.  We were working together pretty good and then I realized there was a group that was trying to bridge up and that group had a teammate of mine.  Brian knew that I could sit up and wait for my teammate however he didn't want that to happen so it was lets make a deal time.  He proposed if we were to stay away then he would not sprint.  I thought that was a great idea.  However in the back of my mind I was thinking "is he just saying that?".  Well despite my doubts I started taking long pulls into the wind and trying to make sure we didn't get caught.  In the end he stayed true to his word and I got to roll in solo.  However if your going to re-tell this story it will sound better if you say I attacked him on the last lap and he simply couldn't hold my wheel.

No comments: