9/19/2011

Nowak Cross Report: Jackson Park

And so it begins...

Yesterday was the first race in the ChiCrossCup series with a total of 12 races this year.

This was actually my 3rd 'cross race of the year as Ben Demong and I teamed up for the 2-Person Relay race and then I went down to Rantoul to do the Patriot CX last weekend.  Still working on my fitness level but its getting better each week.  For me personally it will be a long season of 'cross as I am looking to do Nationals and then Master Worlds in January (yep January!) so I'm working on getting fitter as the season goes on.

xXx Racing always hosts the kickoff race each year and in the 6 years of racing there I don't thing the course has ever been the same.  There are some similarities each year but they always throw in some different twists and turns.  This year they decided to explore the far west end of the park and I have got to say that the course they laid out in that section was very fun.  Lots of tight, fast turns with explosive sprinting out of them.  If you were willing to take chances you could catch and pass people in those areas.  In addition, the weather added a bit of drama as it was an off/on drizzle.  There would be sections where the grass was wet and then other where it was bone dry making it a challenge at times to figure out a line.  By the end of my second race though it was becoming a more uniform track with everything getting greasy slick.

I raced twice, the 40+ race which was the first of the day and then right after in the 30+.  Overall pretty happy with that race as I ended up 11th just missing a call up for the next race.  In the 30+ I got to the start line late and ended up starting in the very back.  It ended up being a good training race as I worked on passing people and racing in traffic.  Felt good for the first 4 laps and then the lights went out.  12 laps total done at race pace over the two races.

Overall ABD had a nice day.  Brian McVey on his HOT new tubies ended up 7th in the Cat 3, Ben Demong was 13th.  Walt Stoops in the new 60+ category was 6th, and Konrad Witt racing in only his 2nd cross race ever ended up taking 5th in the Jrs.  I talked to his Mom last night and she said he only fell 4 times on the FIRST lap!  Also saw Andy Walker, Jerry Meister and Waylon in the results.  Many more ABD'ers than in the past but I know there are many more of you out there!!!

Next race is in two weeks, Oct 2nd at Hopkins Park in DeKalb.  For us Western 'burbs, this is an easy drive down Rt. 38.

For those of you heading up to Madison next weekend for USGP, Good Luck!!

I'm not going to Madison next weekend.  Not sure if there will be any Bandit CX next weekend, but I'll pass anything along if/when I find out.  Worse case is that there will be a practice on Saturday.

Jim

No comments: