11/17/2009

Nowak Report: CCC #8 - Hilton/Indian Lakes

Round 8 of the ChiCrossCup series brought us to Bloomingdale and the Hilton/Indian Lakes Resort and Golf Course.  There is apparently a very interesting story behind securing this venue for a 'cross race, some of which I understand is economics and some of an employee being brave enough to ask his boss.  In any case, a very nice venue.

So. Chicago Wheelmen were the promoting club this week and were setting up on Fri. for the Sat. race.  Being as I pass Indian Lakes on my way from work to home, I stopped and decided that I would walk the course.  My initial impression was that it was going to be REALLY fast.  Boy was I surprised the next day.  There were some tough power sections that were into the wind as well as some nice technical twisty areas.  Basically the course was two out and back loops that came together at the start/finish area.  The highlight of the course was two different areas on the opening out/back section.  The first was a barrier at the base of a gradual hill that required a quick remount, then a descent to another barrier that took you up the hill again in a run-up.  The other section of note (which is now being called "Bacon Alley" due to the bacon handups to the 4Bs, see the CCC website for pics) were two back to back sand traps, the first which was rideable, and the second was hit or miss ridable.

My plan was to double up again (40+ followed by 30+).  After a good week of training, I was confident that I could pull off a good result and hopefully move up in the overall.  I got a good position in the second row right behind the series leader at the start line.  Once again, the start was chaotic but I slowly moved through traffic continuing to push my pace.  By the end of the first lap I was sitting about 5 seconds behind the 4 leaders in 5th, with 6th-8 about another 5-10 seconds back.  After 2 laps, still in 5th, but now about 10 seconds back, and one guy on my wheel.  On the 3rd lap, I was passed going into the wind, and couldn't respond to the surge, however, I was solidly in 6th place with about a 10-15 seconds lead on 7th and 8th.  Pretty much stayed the same for the next few laps, until with 2 to go, on the last twisty section I went hot into a corner and washed out my front wheel, was caught by the 7th place guy and was now behind him.  We rode together to the sand pit, where he was able to clean them and I wasn't.  Now it was a matter of just keeping my position.  I was able to do so getting my best finish of the year.  Now I am sitting 11th overall and with another good race could be top 10 making my ultimate goal of the year.

In the 30+ race, pretty much did it for training, but the best part was sprinting with a Peoria Bike guy for...  26th!!!  In all it was a good time.  New Belgium was there with LOTs of Fat Tire Ale (I was a good boy and refrained) as well as good food.  I hung around for a bit after the 30+ to watch some of the racing and talk with others.  Again, ABD had a nice turnout both with racers and spectators.  The Witt family was out watching and rooting us on.

I can't believe I'm saying this but only two more to go!  This 'cross season has really flown by.  Woodstock is another nice venue with some nice challenging sections.  Last year was REALLY cold, but looking at the forecast, looks like rain the early part of this week and then dry and in the 50s.  So should be perfect conditions.

Thanks again for reading.  Hope to see some of you out there on Sunday!

Jim

No comments: