11/29/2009

Nowak Report: CCC #9 - Are we there yet?!?

The second to last stop of the 2009 ChiCrossCup series was Sunday up in Woodstock.  Last week we (i.e. I) was spoiled with the Bloomingdale race only 10 minutes from my house.  From Bartlett, Woodstock is a good hour drive, probably the furthest drive all year.  I armed myself with a nice coffee, some eats, and made my way up there.

The course was pretty much a carbon copy of the 2008 course, only it wasn't 30 degrees and frozen ground.  After last weeks successful race in the 40+, I was once again on the verge of being top 10 for the series.  With a good race in Woodstock I would achieve that goal and then just need to be solid at Montrose.  I got the bikes ready and made my way out to do a pre-ride.  Most of the course was still being marked so we were basically following the paint markings on the ground to figure out where we were going.

My typical warmup routine is ride the course easy for 1 lap, do a faster lap on the second, and then ride sections that need some work fast on the last, but try to just stay warm.  On the second lap there was still some confusion as to where the course was, so I wasn't able to get a really "hot" lap in.

The typical protagonists were there; the green team of Verdigris, Turin, Pony Shop, etc.  The start was fast as always and I worked my way to about 7th by the end of the first lap.  However, from there it went backward, with guys passing me over the next 4 laps and me not being able to hold a wheel.  A bit frustrating after last week, but as I sit here today the signs were there pretty much all of last week (excessive congestion, bad legs on rides, etc.).  I ended up in 15th which was initially disappointing, but looking at the overall, being top 10 for the series is still a much reachable goal.  So with out any racing this weekend (not going to Jingle Cross but hoping for a Bandit), I'm gonna try to recover, get healthy, and be smart.  Then do a few efforts next week with the plan to be good at the final at Montrose.

There were many of the normal ABD'ers there and I actually met a few.  It's good to see more ABD riders out there.  A few years ago it was just me, Gina Kenny, and when he could Brad Dash.  Now there is someone in almost every race (40+, 50+, 30+, Women, and 4s).  We are still holding onto 10th in the team competition, and I think we should be able to maintain that spot.

Dec. 6th is the final race.  If you haven't had a chance to get out this will be it.  Montrose has always been one of my favorite courses and from what I have heard, it should be quite a challenge.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for reading,
Jim

No comments: