12/06/2009

Gina Kenny: Jingle CX Report

Sue S. & I represented ABD at Jingle Cross held the Friday, Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving in Iowa City, IA. Unfortunately, neither of us was at 100% as she was still recovering from swine flu and I had your common variety cold. Still, the two of us combined managed a total of seven races in a span of less than 48 hours. And, my three-year-old son Christopher did his first cross race!!! = )

It did not rain or snow on us but there had been enough rain earlier in the week that there was plenty of mud. I want to give a huge thank you to Sue, who after racing with me in the Women' 2/3 race, was my impromtu pit crew for the Women's 35+ race. I didn't even make it through a full lap when I had so much mud on my bike that I was having problems just getting the wheels to turn. She hosed it off for me while I rode a lap on my old Schwinn. 

The organizers managed to have a different course for each day and, even with the mud, the races were a lot of fun. There are loads of videos on YouTube, for those interested -- just type in "Jingle Cross 2009."

As Jim already mentioned, Sunday is the last race in the Chicago Cyclocross series at Montrose. The fans for the ChiCrossCup rival any. It is a load of fun. ABD'ers will be racing throughout the day so bundle up and come cheer us on! = )
-Gina

No comments: